Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Time Management

7:45 Arrive at daycare
8:00 Still trying to extract myself from daycare
8:05 Lobbying one year old to leave daycare
8:15 Arrive at work
8:30 Realize I've been staring at login screen for 15 minutes, get up to get coffee
8:35 Recommence staring at screen
8:40 Realize I need to restart computer
8:45 Log on to computer
9:00 Finish deleting junk from email Inbox
9:30 Returned 20 emails and realize I need to book travel for trade show in six weeks, go to Travelocity and begin searching hotels
11:30 Realize I've just spent two whole hours looking for a hotel for one night in effort to save $20
11:45 Finish eating half box of Girl Scout cookies only to realize that "oh crap, I've just finished half that box of Girl Scout cookies."
12:00 Should I have lunch? No, wait, remember the Girl Scout cookies, damn Girl Scouts
12:30 Notice that in time it took to look for hotel room (which I did not book) I've received over 50 emails
2:30 Come to realization that there is no possible way in Hades that I'm going to keep up with email today. I'll let everyone bounce their emails back and forth, and I'll read through the strings tomorrow morning and respond only where necessary
2:45 Finally eat lunch
3:00 Update weekly status report only to realize that due to ridiculous volume of email, I'm actually further behind than I was last week. Need to revise annual status report
4:30 Realize it's time to leave work, should just check email one last time to ensure there is nothing urgent
5:01 Sprint from work, now late to pick Keira up from daycare due to getting sucked into email vortex
That, folks, is why I make the big bucks.

No comments: