Monday, March 12, 2007

Lace, Lagaan, and a List

What do all these things have in common? Well, not much actually, except that they are the three topics that kept popping into my mind when I tried to think of what to write. Lace, because I'm starting my first lace knitting project, Lagaan because it's a movie I was planning to start tonight, and lists because I felt like sharing some of the teasing I inflicted on my poor husband last night.
You see, he loves:


  • kung fu movies
  • science fiction
  • movies and TV shows based on comic books
  • conversations based on any of the previous
  • bloody action movies (but really only those based on either ancient history or comic books)
I took up knitting because:


  • my husband likes to watch kung fu movies
  • my husband likes to watch science fiction
  • my husband likes to watch movies and TV shows based on comic books
  • my husband likes to have conversations based on any of the previous
  • my husband likes to watch bloody action movies (but really only those based on either ancient history or comic books)
  • we don't go out much anymore
  • for work
  • it's unavoidable, really
So you see, the lace really is a product of kung fu. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. How does Lagaan fit into this at all? Well, you see, if I felt okay to poke mild fun at Chad's viewing preferences, I really then ought to admit that I have some guilty pleasures of my own. I like:
  • the occasional volume of chick lit
  • The Spice Girls (yes, still)
  • knitting
  • Brit pop
  • Japanese Cute Culture
  • Hello Kitty
  • Baliwood music
Though I've not yet tried it, I very seriously suspect that I'm bound to enjoy Baliwood movies. Since Lagaan is purported to be the quintessential Baliwood musical, I thought it best to start there. Chad is out swilling beer and watching The 300 with the boys (see earlier bit about Chad liking gory films based loosely on a) comic books b) historical events). I think I'll go pop in Lagaan now, although I won't get too far. Chad's due home soon and Heroes is on in half an hour (see earlier comment on TV shows based loosely on comics).

No comments: