Wednesday, March 21, 2007

If It's Blue, Should I Still Consider Eating It?


Okay, not really eating it, but drinking it. This is the question that crossed my mind this afternoon as I whipped up a Kroger-branded, instant, non-fruit, non-sugar, non-juice, possible petro-chemical product that was masquerading as a "lite" beverage. And I mean blue. Not a nice ocean/blueberry/sky blue, but an artificial blue that is so fake and unappealing that you rarely find it on anything, save gas station tchotchkes. (you know the ones I mean, the light-up angels and unicorns that only come in colors that would make god himself gag?)

So, I tear open the little teensy-weensy packet, pour it into my cup, and viola, a shade of blue that was never intended. Did I mention that the flavor was raspberry lemonade? I mix it a bit and now it's pink. At which point should I have stopped and said, no thank you? How desperate for a non-caloric beverage can one be? Apparently enough to make all of the above observations, shrug, walk back to my desk, and swill the very same drink.

You see, I'm embarking, once again, on another attempt to try and weigh something less than a bear that's just swallowed a hiker. It's quite possibly a vain hope, but hey, it's biking season again, we'll soon want lighter/cooler fare, and weekends will be taken up with gardening, so who knows.

Wish me luck. But don't worry, this won't turn into a diet blog. I'll only update you when I loose 30 pounds : )
PS - Cat photo is entirely random, I just felt like sharing! Bernie feels that if he takes over the changing station, the baby must go.

1 comment:

knitting pirate librarian said...

I love those non-caloric drinks in unnatural shades. It looks like I'm drinking scope, but really it's a sweet and slightly tart lite beverage.

Good luck! I myself am trying to get to weight were I feel comfortable laying on the beach, not fearing that the next person by will try to push me back in the water. "What the heck is a beluga doing down here?"