Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Let's All Go 'n Git Us Some Guns

Because clearly it's a good idea. The more the merrier, I say. You know, if we each had, say 20, then no one would die. You see, everyone would be afraid that the other person would shoot, so no one would shoot. Infallible logic.
What's that you say? That one's been done. Noooooo! Say it isn't so?
This week's tragedy clearly illustrates two points. The first is that is is more than painfully obvious that as a nation, we're not mature enough to own lethal weapons. Second, as a nation, we're not mature enough to give them up. I've handled guns, shot targets, and enjoyed it. I've known people who are in fact, mature enough to own and operate guns. I don't even know if it bears mentioning that they are the minority. But, I'm willing to give up that right in the face of spiraling violence and ridiculous crime rates. In my humble opinion, our government is so unbelievable inept at managing even the smallest of tasks, that I really find it hard to believe that it could manage to actually turn on its citizens. Not that there aren't elements of the government who wouldn't, given the chance. Bush is a prime example of that, but also a prime example of the incompetence of which I speak (but that's for another post.)
If 33 dead college students didn't raise the cry for gun controls, nothing will. I for one, am ready to turn mine in - 0h, wait - I don't have one. You see, I already thought it was a bad idea.
Since I fully realize that your news services are in no way as myopic as ours, I'll only leave you with this link in case you don't aren't familiar with the story to which I refer (it's here.)

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Hey, Roxane: I think actually the 33 dead weren't all students. I read a short article as the story was developing, and one was a Holocaust survivor. So he was able to make it through the biggest genocide of the century, but unable to be in a building of a major university without being blown away. And there's always the argument that people, not guns, kill, and it's true this student could have taken up another weapon. But I doubt he would have been able to kill 32 other people plus himself with, say, a set of brass knuckles or a baseball bat. Nice post.