Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Crack Smokin'

It was below freezing for the easter egg hunt!

Nope, crack smoking isn't yet another bad habit I've acquired, it's the look that Keira now gives me from time to time. She has actually started rolling her eyes (I really must take this opportunity to remind you all that she's not yet two.)
This past weekend, we took Keira down to a fun little Easter egg hunt hosted by the church near our house. They have three areas, separated by the ages of the kids. It's quick and it's within a 3 minute walk of the house - a total no-brainer.
Since this was her first hunt, we wanted to get her up-to-speed on the concept so that she'd have a fighting chance to get one or two eggs. So, when I went upstairs to get ready, I asked Chad to give Keira the low down.
When I'm done getting ready, Keira runs up and says, "Mommy, go for walk, go for walk - eggs." The expression told me that while she knew that both a walk and eggs were on the agenda, she wasn't certain how the two related. But, maybe we were going to the store?
So, I asked her if we'd find some eggs on our walk. She hesitates, then says yeeeessss? I confirmed that yes, we would go for a walk, we'd then find some eggs, and that the eggs would be hiding.
And I quote - "Eggs hiding, eggs hiding Mommy?" Then, she give me a look like surely I'm on crack and says, "Nnnnnnoooooooo, Mommy. No eggs hiding. Mommy." I could see that I'd just lost a notch in her esteem. If I believed that eggs might suddenly decide to hide, what next.
Imagine her surprise when we went for a walk, then really did find eggs hiding. She is still talking about it in awed tones (now she thinks I'm magic and can make eggs hide.)
You should have seen her face when I told her that a bunny was going to deliver presents (it didn't help that she thought I meant Bernie, our cat, whom she knows isn't in any lines to get her presents.)
((postscript: if you think that's humourous, you should have seen the look she gave me when I casually mentioned that I had a song stuck in my head))

No comments: