Saturday, November 3, 2007

Surrounded By Salad Eatin' Bears

I hate to begin this post with bad news, but it's official, our home has an infestation of bears. According to Keira, these bears lurk around outside, and apparently they sometimes inhabit our ground floor. I'm not really sure what they are doing, but I have been informed that while these bears are black and eat salad, that they can also bite.
Since we live in an area with no bears, these particular denizens of our neighborhood are purely the product of Keira's imagination - which is officially here in full force. I'm positive that the bears from vacation somehow "followed" us home, and I also know where the biting and salad eating came from. Keira has told our neighbors, her friends, and her teachers, that sometimes bears are outside our house and she has to be quiet. The ursids don't seem to be causing any actual anxiety, and we don't play up the imaginary bears, so it seems pretty harmless.
On the other hand, the increased imaginary play is nothing short of hysterical. We went to our neighborhood playground this past week. There's a mini jungle gym that looks like an old fashioned car. Keira decided that she wanted to play "shopping mommy" and strapped me into my carseat. We then proceeded to go to the banana* store, the strawberry store, and the zoozeum (Children's Museum). I had to pretend to ride around in the cart, and be chastized for picking up things from the supermarket shelves. Apparently, I'm a right pain in the ass, but she keeps insisting on going to the supermarket with me, so she must like it.
*Note: banana is pronounced with the emphasis on the first a (BA nana)

No comments: